Shawn and Amy Collins, from St. Louis and Houston respectively, met while working at a busy restaurant in Manhattan. While planning to marry Shawn was looking for barbecue wood on Craigslist when he saw a restaurant for sale. Before they knew it they were picking up and leaving the big city for the tiny town of Nixon, Texas where they would be the new owners of Pioneer BBQ.
March 26, 2018
Shawn and Amy would slowly tweak the menu, refining it to fit the food they wanted to make the way they wanted to make it. With unique items like spicy firecracker corn, spicy scorpion sauce, and some of the finest banana pudding in Texas, the Collins' have made a mark on their small town.
Our interview with Shawn and Amy touches on their beginnings, the challenges of adapting to the palates of the oil workers and small town folk that are their regular clientele as well as their burgeoning "Honey and Swine" Etsy store that sells both Pioneer BBQ's rubs as well as handmade and vintage home decor. The store also features Amy's handmade clothing projects as she is a skilled tailor who went to design school.
In this episode we also unveil the rules of our Yeti giveaway contest.
Here are the contest rules and details:
1. Our Tales from the Pits sticker is placed at all of the following BBQ joints.
Bodacious BBQ on Mobberly Ave.
Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue
Evie Mae's Barbeque
John Mueller Blackbox Barbecue
Roegels Barbecue Co.
2. Take a selfie in front of our sticker at any/all of these 10 BBQ Joints to be entered into our Yeti contest. Each selfie is worth ONE entry into the contest. Each picture must be posted on Instagram and @talesfromthepits must be tagged in each photo.
3. Take a selfie in front of our sticker at any/all of these 10 BBQ Joints while holding some BBQ from any/all of the joints. Every entry with you holding food is worth TWO entries into the contest. Each picture must be posted on Instagram and @talesfromthepits must be tagged in each photo.
4. A maximum of ONE entry per person per BBQ joint is permitted; a maximum of 20 entries per person is permitted.
5. The giveaway winner will be selected at random from all eligible entries.
6. Family of Tales from the Pits hosts are prohibited from winning this prize.
7. Contest ends at 11:59 PM July 4th, 2018
The items won in the giveaway include a Yeti Tundra 45 Cooler filled with various merchandise including but not limited to shirts, hats, koozies, and stickers. Items in the cooler are subject to change. The entire giveaway prizes must be redeemed in person by the winner at a time and place mutually convenient for both the podcast hosts and the prize winner.